UAB Financial Affairs
University of Alabama at Birmingham
701 20th Street South
921 Administration Building
Birmingham, AL 35294
Contracts & Vendor Compliance
/ Contract Thresholds
The following guide should be used to assist in determining when a formal contract is required:
University Purchasing Contracted SuppliersTaylor Communications – Amy Oliver, 205-837-5135, firstname.lastname@example.orgStaples Promo – Sam Simon, 917-684-6690, email@example.comPromoversity – Amber Gerstung, 877-737-7137, ext. 223, firstname.lastname@example.orgAd-Wear Texas (T-Shirts Only) – Kim Takushi, 713-953-9881, ext. 1, email@example.com
- Advertising/Advertisements- regardless of the amount a contract is required
- This does not apply to departments that report to Office Of VP Development, Alumni & Ext Relations
- Branding/Logo- Effective May 3, 2018, any promotional items purchased with UAB funds must be sourced from one of the University Purchasing contracted suppliers listed below. All projects involving UAB marks / artwork / or any logo must be approved by University Relations using the Marketing Approval System. This includes items purchased with UAB, agency or foundation funds. Agency and foundation purchased products must be produced by a licensed Learfield vendor. The approval from University Relations is required as documentation for Oracle Purchase Orders, Payment Requests, P-Cards and Educational Foundation payments.
Projects sourced to any other vendor other than those listed above, shall require the approval of the Director of University Purchasing.
- Consulting - Any agreement equal to or exceeding $2,500 annually
- Credit Applications - Any agreement to establish a new account or credit in the University's name
- Equipment - Any agreement equal to or in excess of $15,000 annually
- Equipment Loans
- Facility/Space rental- Any off campus facility/space rental requires a contract regardless of the amount
- Lease - Any agreement equal to or in excess of $15,000 over the life of the lease
- Maintenance Agreements - Any agreement equal to or in excess of $15,000 annually
- Non-Professional Services - Any agreement equal to or in excess of $15,000 annually
- Professional Services -Any agreement equal to or exceeding $2,500 annually
- A contract must be routed for services related to outdoor stage and/or sound equipment being setup on UAB property regardless of the amount.
- 2/12/2015 - An exception to the “exceeding $2,500 annually” is an intercollegiate athletic official/referee Individuals who officiate/referee at UAB athletic events. This does not include a score keeper or announcer. Also, this does not include a student life or intramural official/referee.
- Public Works - Title 39, Agreements processed in excess of $50,000
- Rental - Any agreement equal to or in excess of $15,000 annually
- Supplies- Any agreement equal to or in excess of $15,000 annually
- Travel- When reimbursing a third party, a contract is required
- Valet Services-regardless of the amount a contract is required
Note: Any agreement or quote provided by an outside party requiring/including any of the following must be routed through the University Contract office regardless of the dollar value.
- A Signature
- Terms and Conditions
- Pre-Payment, Deposit, or Down Payment
Professional Service examples include: Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, Architects, etc.
Non-Professional Service examples include: Lawn Care Services, Janitorial Services, Window Cleaning, etc.