Financial Affairs Main Page
UAB Chief Financial Officer
Accounts Payable
Administrative Systems Training
Budget Administration
Contracts & Vendor Compliance
Cost and Space Analysis
Equipment Accounting
Financial Accounting
Financial Review Services
Payroll Services
Student Accounting
Tax Services
University Purchasing
Object Code Search
Policies & Guidelines
Reports & Publications
Resource Links
UAB Financial Affairs
University of Alabama at Birmingham
701 20th Street South
921 Administration Building
Birmingham, AL 35294
Search Financial Affairs UAB Home UAB Directory UAB Calendars

payroll services   /  Requesting Temporary Identification Number

Temporary identification numbers may be requested for non-US citizens that are being appointed as employees or trainees as long as the assignment category is one of the following:

  • 01 Full-time Regular
  • 02 Full-time Temporary
  • 03 Part-time Regular
  • 04 Irregular
  • 06 Student Employees (must be enrolled as UAB student)
  • 07 Interns/Residents
  • 12 Three Twelve-hour-shift
  • 17 Weekend Staff Nurse
  • 20 Postdoctoral Scholar Trainee
  • 21 Postdoctoral Scholar Employee
  • 46 Trainees

Please complete and submit the following to the UAB Payroll Services via fax (975-7417) or email

Once all documents have been reviewed and the determination made as to whether the non-US citizen will need to apply for an individual tax identification number (ITIN) or social security number (SSN), you will receive instructions for processing the appointment document. International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) will be notified of the determination and will be available to assist the employee/trainee with applying for a permanent US identification number.

Payments to non-US citizens with temporary records identification numbers are subject to maximum tax withholdings. Treaty benefits, if applicable, will be granted once the permanent US identification number is received.

Compensation payments may not be reported under an individual tax identification number (ITIN). Should the nature of the non-US citizen's assignment change from trainee or independent contractor to compensation, a temporary records identification number must be requested until the non-US citizen receives a social security number (SSN).



© Copyright 2007 UAB Financial Affairs    All Rights Reserved
Web Development by Infomedia