DUMMY identification numbers are issued to persons that do not qualify or do not intend to apply for a US permanent identification number (SSN or ITIN). Dummy identification numbers are issued for the following:
- Non-US citizen volunteers
- Receipt and use of a dummy number for a volunteer implies that no future employee or trainee payments are anticipated.
- Non-US citizens with foreign sourced income
- Patient refunds
Dummy identification numbers are issued by UAB Tax. For non-US citizen dummy number requests, provide a copy of the person's passport or visa via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax (205-934-9369). Please direct inquiries to UAB Tax.
TEMPORARY records identification numbers are issued to persons that qualify to apply or have applied for a US permanent identification number. Temporary records identification numbers are issued for the following:
(Select the appropriate classification for a listing of the documents required to obtain a temporary identification number.)
Social Security Administration (SSA) requires that non-US citizens wait ten business days from their arrival in the country before a social security application may be made.
- Please use the link, https://www.uab.edu/students/images/documents/services/international/social-security.pdf, for information pertaining to the social security application and the on-campus employer verification form that must be completed.
Individual Tax Identification Numbers (ITIN) are required for non-US citizens with 1042S reportable scholarships and fellowships (trainees).
Employees receiving compensation (salary/wage) payments are required to have a social security number.
- Trainees with ITIN numbers that change to a compensated assignment must request a SSN and relinquish the ITIN. In order for the employee to be eligible to complete a SSN application, please notify UAB Tax (email@example.com).