Financial Affairs Main Page
UAB Chief Financial Officer
Accounts Payable
Administrative Systems Training
Budget Administration
Contracts & Vendor Compliance
Cost and Space Analysis
Equipment Accounting
Financial Accounting
Financial Review Services
Payroll Services
Student Accounting
Tax Services
University Purchasing
Object Code Search
Policies & Guidelines
Reports & Publications
Resource Links
UAB Financial Affairs
University of Alabama at Birmingham
701 20th Street South
921 Administration Building
Birmingham, AL 35294
Search Financial Affairs UAB Home UAB Directory UAB Calendars

payroll services   /  Identification Numbers (Temporary and Dummy)

DUMMY identification numbers are issued to persons that do not qualify or do not intend to apply for a US permanent identification number (SSN or ITIN). Dummy identification numbers are issued for the following:

  • Non-US citizen volunteers
    • Receipt and use of a dummy number for a volunteer implies that no future employee or trainee payments are anticipated.
  • Non-US citizens with foreign sourced income
  • Patient refunds

Dummy identification numbers are issued by UAB Payroll Services. For non-US citizen dummy number requests, provide a copy of the person's passport or visa via email ( or fax (205-975-7417). Please direct inquiries to UAB Payroll Services.

TEMPORARY records identification numbers are issued to persons that qualify to apply or have applied for a US permanent identification number. Temporary records identification numbers are issued for the following:

(Select the appropriate classification for a listing of the documents required to obtain a temporary identification number.)



  • Social Security Administration (SSA) requires that non-US citizens wait ten business days from their arrival in the country before a social security application may be made.

  • Please use the link,, for information pertaining to the social security application and the on-campus employer verification form that must be completed.   
  • Individual Tax Identification Numbers (ITIN) are required for non-US citizens with 1042S reportable scholarships and fellowships (trainees).

  • Employees receiving compensation (salary/wage) payments are required to have a social security number.

  • Trainees with ITIN numbers that change to a compensated assignment must request a SSN and relinquish the ITIN. In order for the employee to be eligible to complete a SSN application, please notify UAB Tax (
© Copyright 2007 UAB Financial Affairs    All Rights Reserved
Web Development by Infomedia